Man, I love Mexican food. I could eat it 7 days a week and never get sick of it. I also love casseroles, and now that the seasons are changing I am really craving something hearty and comforting.
That is where taco casserole comes in to place.
If you are not vegan, you can easily swap the black beans for seasoned ground beef or turkey and swap the nutritional yeast for some Mexican or cheddar cheese. You can add any topping you choose such as: sour cream, corn, jalapenos, red bell pepper! The options are endless!
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
- 5 red potatoes (or whatever you like the most, i just happen to like the red ones)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
- 1 jar of salsa
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 1 1/2 packets of taco seasoning (you can make your own, i use Taco Bell seasoning)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 can black beans
- Chopped lettuce (optional)
- Taco sauce (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400
- Dice potatoes, pour 1 tbs of peanut oil evenly on potatoes, and bake for 15 minutes
- Once potatoes are done, mix 1/2 packet of taco seasoning
- Mix 1/2 packet of taco seasoning on cooked rice
- Put 1/2 bag of tortilla chips across bottom of baking dish, layer the seasoned potatoes, seasoned rice, 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, 1/2 jar of salsa, can of black beans, 1/2 packet of taco seasoning, remaining half cup of nutritional yeast, and remaining salsa.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
- When done, add lettuce and taco sauce, or topping of your choice.